Increasing LGBTIQ+ Inclusion in Youth Work & Education
LEAP Sports Scotland is putting on this event for anyone who works with young people to understand LGBTIQ+ inclusion and get practical tools for implementing it into their practice. We will share best practice of LGBTIQ+ inclusion in youth work and education, explore the realities of LGBTIQ+ young people in Scotland, and introduce new resources that make assessing, learning about, and implementing LGBTIQ+ inclusive youth work easier.
The event will include knowledge exchange, information sharing, workshops, and networking. This event is free with no limit on how many staff from each organisation join. There will be a free lunch, and coffee, tea and biscuits.
This event is a great opportunity for some continuous professional development in the area of LGBTIQ+ inclusion for your practice. Anyone is welcome to join who feels this event would be of use to them, such as people who directly work young people or make decisions about work with young people, including youth workers, educators, managers, youth organisation staff, and more. The event will be relevant to people from all levels of knowledge and experience with LGBTIQ+ inclusion.
This event is funded by the Erasmus+ programme as part of the Rainbow Youth 2.0 (RY2.0) strategic partnership project. The partners in this project are LEAP Sports (Scotland), Colectivo MosaiQ (Spain), Asociazione Eufemia (Italy), and Saplinq (Slovakia). The resources presented in the event have been created as part of this project.
Calton Heritage Learning Centre
423 London Road Glasgow G40 1AG
10am – start with coffee, tea, and biscuits
12.30-1.30pm – lunch and networking
3pm – finish
The event will include:
- Introducing LGBTIQ+ inclusion in youth work and why it matters
- LGBTIQ+ young people’s realities in Scotland, including their experiences youth work, school, and PE class
- Assessing personal LGBTIQ+ competences with the new LGBTIQ+ Youth Work Competence Framework (RY2.0)
- Virtual tour of the new free LGBTIQ+ inclusion Online Learning Academy course for youth workers and educators (RY2.0)
- Sharing insights and best practice for working with LGBTIQ+ young people from the new Manual for LGBTIQ+ inclusive youth work (RY2.0)
- Hearing attendees’ experiences and knowledge of working with LGBTIQ+ people -what went well, what can improve
- Promoting other work, projects, and resources on LGBTIQ+ inclusion for youth work and education
- Exploring case studies
- Workshop on LGBTIQ+ inclusion in sport for young people, including young people’s experiences in PE and the Manifesto for Inclusive Physical Education (LEAP Sports)
The venue is wheelchair accessible with an accessible toilet. There will be gender neutral toilets available. All food will be vegan with other dietary requirements accommodated for. Please wear a mask throughout the event, unless you are unable to as this will enable people to attend who have disabilities or who work with vulnerable people. We will attempt to keep all communication as clear as possible and the environment as comfortable as we can. All attendees are welcome to take breaks or opt out from activities when they need to, and do anything that will make them more comfortable and more able to concentrate. We will share a code of conduct for everyone signed up so that everyone feels respected and heard at the event. If paying for travel to the event poses a barrier for attending, please contact Remi.
Any questions or enquiries: please contact Remi Jokiranta (Project Officer for Young People & Families at LEAP Sports) at email@example.com.